Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Technology Bites

So, I've been using the foot pod sometimes (for speed work, in particular) because it seemed to give more accurate instantaneous results. The GPS jumps around a little bit. I did tempo intervals a couple of weeks ago with the pod, and it registered 3mi at a point I knew to be, in fact, 3mi, so I was reasonably confident in it, although I figured over a longer distance, the GPS would be a little more accurate. Little did I know how much more accurate.

Sat, I was supposed to run 16 miles, with 7 of them at PMP. I mapped a route, and figured I'd do 8 easy + 7 at PMP + 1 CD. I kept an eye on the watch, and picked it up at the 8mi mark. I was feeling ambitious so I was going to run the PMP at the fastest end of the goal range. It was easier than I thought it would be. Cool!

When the watch registered another 7, I backed off and took stock. Hmmm... I should have one more mile to go, but that doesn't look like it'll get me anywhere near the 16mi mark I mapped. Must've mis-remembered the map... <plod, plod, plod>... Now that I think about it, the 8mi mark was a earlier than the map indicated, too... <plod, plod, plod>... Hmmm...

So, back in the lab, I retraced my steps on the map. Using two different mapping tools. No way around it: the pod registered 16mi at the 14.8mi mark. Luckily, the faster I went, the more accurate it got, so the 7mi part was not too far off of 7mi, and my pace was, although not at the fast end I thought it was, at least not at the slow end. No wonder it felt easy. But now I wonder if I could have run at the pace I was planning -- maybe so. Course, perhaps the stupid pod craftily saved me from myself.

This morning saw me removing the pod from my shoe, and replacing the lace it ate. I ran my farleks with just the GPS. I didn't look at the pace or distance, just the time, resigned to discovering when I got home that the paces were, sure enough, slower than they had been. Miracle of miracles, they were actually faster. A lot faster. And I was tired-er. Must have been overcompensating.

No comments: