Monday, August 25, 2008

8 weeks, 6 days - Let the madness begin

Spent most of last week in Montreat. The girls had a ball. By the time we hit the Saluda Grade on the way back, E insisted that we should go back.

On the flip side, I didn't do much running. I did a couple of trail runs straight up Lookout to the trestle. Otherwise, it was a week off. My local group punished me yesterday by taking me on a 17 miler.

I've discovered the cadence workout. On Saturday, using low tech methods (my watch) I counted my strides and tried to keep my cadence at 180, no matter how slow the actual pace was. It was surprisingly difficult to do this, but I met with interesting results. I thought I was moving grandma-slow, but my mile splits kept creeping down into the 7-ish range (last two were sub seven). I'm planning on doing this one once a week.

Big weekly miles begin here. Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday runs all begin to stretch out.

1 comment:

Stuart said...

Yeah, just thinking "fast" tends to make me want to stretch out more, but that's not the best strategy, apparently. Like on the bike, pushing a big gear takes more strength endurance, while higher cadence takes more aerobic endurance. I can do the latter longer for the same net power before blowing up. That seems to be true for running, too. However, I have to think explicitly about increasing cadence, instead of just (imagined) speed to pull it off.