As N → 5
I went out this morning for intervals feeling a little heavy, so I decided I probably had to push myself a little to hit my paces.
My 10min warm up pace was 8:43; my first 4 min was @ 6:46; recovery 3min @ 9:04
...ok, so I'm going a little faster than my goal (7:00 pace)...
Toning it down a little, I get 6:54 <9:28> 6:58 -- that's better, I tell myself during my 9:38 pace 3min recovery.
...then BOOM -- 7:08 pace was a struggle, and I'm walking the recovery. I'm thinking I'll just walk the rest of the way home and get back in bed. But, 3min later, I decide I'll just run the 5th one at whatever pace I happen to find myself running at. Turns out to be 7:15 pace.
Bleh...
Christmas
13 years ago
3 comments:
I can't do speed work of any kind in the morning. My body just isn't awake. It's also unbearably humid (though not as hot).
Can you correctly guess your pace? One key of progression for me is if I'm able to correctly tell how fast I'm going.
I've gotten pretty good at this on the shorter distances. At the track, I'm the geek who checks his watch at every 100 marker and does the math in my head. But by golly, I can crank out those quarters right at 90 (not 89, not 91).
But on the road, I'm not quite there. My all-out pace can swing from one mile to the next by 10-15 seconds. And what's worse is that I'm not aware of it. Each mile mark is a surprise. But if I slow it down a hair, I can get them more consistent.
Rather than start by going hell for leather, you might start by trying to find the fastest pace that you can correctly gauge.
Well, I didn't intend to go hell for leather -- the first sprint didn't feel all-out or anything. I just have to watch my watch like a hawk. Maybe as I get more experience...
In hot weather, my Tuesday night crowd's interval times can slide off the table fast. We've tried to compensate by doing shorter intervals (400's and 200's) but this doesnt help. People just wind up doing fewer sets.
A smart thing your doing is timing your recoveries. Most people don't do this. I record my groups recovery times and notice that they slide greatly.
We recently did 800's with a 200 recovery (six sets). Our recovery went from 1:30 to over 3:00. I've tried to be disciplined about keeping a consistent recovery pace. But it's hard.
Post a Comment