Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lost weekend

After a week of good workouts, the weekend was lost to a race and illness. I agreed to do the running leg of an adventure triathlon (paddle, run, mountain bike) team at the Tsali Rec Area near Bryson City. It was fun. We represented our agency. The boats began in wave starts (one minute apart) with the slower, smaller boats going first. Which wave your boat started in depended on a calculation of the boat's length and width combined. Our outdoor coordinator calculated the most devastating option and borrowed a demo from a kayak company (we attracted a crowd when we unloaded it). He and the boat did the job, and he tagged me at the transition in seventh place overall. I caught one/didn't get passed. So I tagged our mountain bike guy in sixth place. But the mountain bike stage is where the local big dogs were. Our mountain biker (a faster runner than me) got worked by the competition. We finished 11th overall.

I didn't get the full 16 that I needed. I also caught a nasty cold. I'm still in recovery. I need to get back on track this weekend.

1 comment:

Stuart said...

500mg C, 2x/day
Elderberry Extract, 4x/day
Garlic capsules, 2x/day

Your cyclist did fine, if you take into account that some of those guys were categorized cyclists.